September 09, 2006

Night Into Day

BREAKING NEWS: I got a new job!



I'll be working on The Post's newly created Features Copy Desk, which will handle six of the weekly sections of the paper. I'll be the "point person" for the Sunday Source and Travel sections and also edit Food, Health, Home and Weekend.

The biggest change affecting you all, though, is that after seven years of working night hours -- my entire professional career! -- I'm coming over to the day side. And I'll have Saturdays off! Eeee!

No official word on the exact hours, but we were originally told that shifts will probably start around 11 a.m., and our days off will be either Saturday-Sunday or Friday-Saturday. Either way, a VAST improvement. I start Sept. 18ish, although will most likely be working nights in Metro for a few shifts during the transition.

Looking forward to being able to meet folks for dinner, go to plays and concerts, take in a game night -- any night of the week! Saturday hiking trip? Count me in! Weekend to visit pals in Dallas? You betcha!

I will miss a lot from my job on the Metro Copy Desk, though. The people are great, and I'll be leaving some of my best friends in town and our Wednesday/Thursday excursions. Also, the move to features means no more front-page stories or community-changing investigative pieces. I'll admit my ego gets a tiny boost every time I contribute to A1 of The Washington Post.

So that's the tradeoff, but I think it's worth it. So excited!

UPDATE: I swapped out the Sunday Source image because last week's made it look too much like a sports section. Then again, this one looks like a fashion front! But that's the beauty of the new job -- I'll be handling all kinds of fun copy. And Carolyn Hax!


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Feel like coming to Dallas on Oct. 21? We will have vegetable skewers! You could crash at my pad! (Or M-Doo's pad, or anybody's pad.)

And congratulations!

Unknown said...

Congratulations, G! Sounds like an exciting change. I'm still working both shifts. Morning, evening, early morning, weekends. It's ridiculous. :( Hope you have a great week! Let's catch up soon.

Anonymous said...

Angie-
I'm so excited for you! What a great opportunity! Definitely let us know if you're coming to dallas. WE'd love to see you!

Angie said...

thanks, everyone, for the kind words. i hope this'll mean i get to see ya soon!

Anonymous said...

Hey Angiem,
I was lurkin' on your blog and thought I'd leave you a note. Welcome to "the dark side" of features editing! You'll do great (and yeah, the hours rock.)